The light-duty optional boring attachment for this machine consisted of an arm connected at the back of the scroll saw and overhanging the main worktable. A round leather belt came off of an auxiliary pulley and rotated the drill bit. The belt was loosely tensioned and the unused arm rose out of the operator's way when not in use. Earlier version of the attachment (1876-1877) used a counterweight to achieve this, while later versions (after 1880) provided cast tabs so the operator could hook the arm out of the way when not needed. When required, the operator simply pulled the arm down, automatically tensioning the drive belt and starting the drill in motion.